In 1950, Anderson Memorial Presbyterian Church (now First Presbyterian Church), located in downtown Martinsville, felt the need for another church in the growing southeast corner of Martinsville. The Forest Hills Presbyterian Church was organized in March, 1951 with thirty-six Charter Members. The new congregation named itself Forest Hills after the surrounding areas which were named Druid Hills and Forest Park.
The original building was completed in 1952 and is the area on the right of the drawing (Chapel and original Pastor's Study seen in the drawing). The Fellowship Hall was built as an unfinished room and was finished by members of the congregation. Church membership expanded to the point that the church needed a larger sanctuary (seen on the left side of the drawing) and additional space for classrooms and other activities. The newer section, completed in 1962, almost tripled the size of the building. The stained glass window in the Sanctuary was installed in 1998. The steeple and the Chapel cupola were replaced in 2002 to minimize maintenance expenses. In 2009, the chapel underwent extensive renovation to provide for a wide range of activities for people of all ages. It is now suitable for both traditional and contemporary servces, as well as many special activities.
Forest Hills Presbyterian Church 725 Beechnut Lane Martinsville, VA 24112 276-632-5411 firstname.lastname@example.org